Manchester's Five Most Impressive Buildings
19 Jan 2012
The Manchester property market is awash with incredible buildings and highly desirable properties in a variety of styles. This is due to the city’s great diversity of districts, its embrace of many distinct architectural styles and its industrial heritage. Here, we take a look at five of Manchester’s most impressive buildings, old and new:
1) Manchester Town Hall. Probably one of the world’s most impressive civic buildings, the town hall is a true monument to the Industrial Era, being designed and built in 1877. The town hall is located in Albert Square on a triangular site and attracts admirers from around the world, eager to gaze upon its many turrets, chimneys and rooftops, as well as the granite statues outside the left-hand entrance. Inside the visitor will find a selection of murals depicting the history of Manchester by Ford Maddox Brown.
2) The Express Building. Designed by Sir Owen Williams and built in 1939 to house the Manchester offices of the national newspaper, the structure on Great Ancoats Street is a near copy of its Fleet Street relative and has added immense architectural value to the Manchester property scene since its construction in 1939. Since the demise of Fleet Street, the building was converted for office and residential use.
3) The Lowry Theatre and Art Gallery. Nestling beside the river in the attractively redeveloped Salford Quays area, the Lowry first opened its doors on 28 April 2000, and is a impressive sight with its glass and metal facings. Named after “matchstick men” painter LS Lowry, the building plays host to hundreds of thousands of visitors every year.
4) The CIS Tower. A rare and welcome exception to the many monotonous and uninspiring Manchester property developments of the 1960s and 1970s, this impressive structure, with its two asymmetrically balanced towers brightens up the entirety of Balloon Street, where it is situated. Until the construction of the Beetham Tower in 2006 they were the tallest towers in the city.
5) The First Church of Christ Scientist. Located on Daisy Bank Road in Victoria Park, this Art Nouveau structure was the first custom-built church for the Christian Scientists, and was built between 1902 and 1906. On Boxing Day 1971 it closed as a church and was ransacked by vandals and thieves, placing the building in jeopardy until it was rescued by the city council. Today it is known as the Edgar Wood Centre.